Estey Home Inspections has conducted hundreds of home inspections on all sorts of residential structures. They have seen every sort of issue under the hot Florida sun. Someday Don Estey may write about the most unusual issues he remembers seeing. But today we share the National Association of Realtors list of the most common issues that home inspectors find.
Here are some of the top issues.
- Faulty wiring – Defective electrical panel to open junction boxes, amperage mismatches, no wire nuts on wires.
- Poor drainage – Nothing ruins a house faster than water intrusion.
- Faulty gutters – Clogged or broken gutters, which do not channel water away from the house.
- Roof problems – Missing, brittle or curled shingles; broken or missing roof flashings.
- Foundation flaws – Cracks in foundation, unlevel floors, sticking doors or windows.
- Faulty plumbing – Inadequate water pressure, slow drains, signs of leaks on walls or ceilings.
- Poor ventilation – Extreme heat in the attic, and vapor condensation.
- Defective heating and A/C– Cracks in the heat exchanger or water tank; carbon monoxide leaks.
Also according to the National Association of Realtors:
Each year the American Society of Home Inspectors conducts surveys related to inspections and U.S. homebuyers. Here are some of their latest findings:
- In a 2012 survey, 88 percent of respondents say home inspections increase their confidence about the condition of the property.
- In a 2011 study, the ASHI found that nearly 90 percent of all U.S. homebuyers believe some home inspections are a necessity, not a luxury.
- According to a 2011 survey, 72 percent of U.S. homeowners agree the home inspections they had when they purchased their current residence helped them avoid potential problems.
- In 2010, the ASHI reported that 64 percent of homeowners said they saved a lot of money as a result of their home inspection.
If you are buying or listing a home in Vero Breach, or you are nearing the end of your new home warranty period, please call Estey Home Inspection for a thorough InterNACHI certified inspection to help you avoid expensive surprises.
We are always available. Contact us here, or call us at (772) 205-1565.